Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fox News vs. MSNBC = CNN

In the 1990's it seemed like CNN was the Clinton News Network, Fox News was the Newt Gingrich Channel, and MSNBC was this little fledgling in between. With Brian Williams moved from MSNBC to NBC, with Tim Russert dead, and with Keith Olbermann now its highest rated show, MSNBC is now the liberal news network, Fox is still the conservative network, and CNN "No Bias No Bull" has emerged as the actual balanced channel.

Fox News I have a hard time watching more than a few minutes of any show on there. I like Fox News Sunday, and I can watch The Beltway Boys on the weekend, and that's about it. I don't think I've seen more than five minutes of Hannity & Colmes in years. It's hard to respect a network that hires Mike Huckabee to develop his own show. What will it be called? The "I Want to Run for President in 2012" Show? He could always go to ABC Family and take over Pat Robertson's 700 Club.

They hired Washington Times man Bill Sammon to be Deputy Washington Manager, so he's second in command to Brit Hume and just as conservative. I read his book "At Any Cost", about the 2000 recount and how the Al Gore team was willing to do anything and everything to "steal" the presidency. Basically it was the other side to HBO's Recount.

CNN has some good staff. I can't say I watch Larry King or Anderson Cooper, but I like Campbell Brown (formerly of NBC), and they have good field reporters.

MSNBC has Chris Matthews, and he's still my favorite one on that channel. He's a lefty but I still get the sense he wants to be fair. I like Morning Joe. Mornings are much better for Joe Scarborough than evenings. In the evenings he was a pale Bill O'Reilly. Then there's Keith Olbermann. Blecch. Now Dan Abrams low-rated show is getting dumped for a new show from Rachel Maddow, Air America cast-off and frequent Keith-O guest host. So if one hour a night of hating McCain isn't enough, now you'll get two. Not that O'Reilly and Hannity provide two hours of Obama Love Nation.

So there you have it. Fox panders right, MSNBC panders left, and that leaves CNN.

I never watch CBS News, although I like Bob Schiffer.

I like ABC's This Week. George Will & George Stephanopoulos keep the round table lively each week.

I record The Chris Matthews Show, Meet the Press, Fox News Sunday and This Week every week. I listen to the round tables, and I'll watch interviews if it looks like it'll be revealing. If it's with the spokesman for someone, I know everything they're going to say and fast-forward those.

No comments: