Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Utah County Convention

This happened Saturday. I was elected as an alternate delegate, but when a delegate's mother died and I stepped in, the "party" refused to let me in. I went anyway.

Immediately it became clear that the majority of Republicans are unhappy with Taylor Oldroyd as party chair. I heard several people who came out of the initial executive committee meeting asking if they could just declare the chair vacant.

Even though I wasn't allowed to participate, I take comfort that my one vote wouldn't have changed the outcome of anything. Brad Daw beat Calvin Harper by more than 60% and will be the GOP nominee for our district's House seat. Most of the county nominations went the way I would have, or my vote wouldn't have stopped them anyway.

In the speeches, Steve White threw out that Gayle Ruzicka supported him, which drew snickers from the section I was sitting in. White was soundly beaten by Doug Whitney for County Commissioner.

Next time I plan to be nominated as an actual delegate.

No comments: