Saturday, April 21, 2012

Utah State GOP Convention

Man, do I wish I could have been there in person.

I'm a county delegate, not a state one, and if it were any other Saturday, I may have gone there for the fun of it.  And to support Dan Liljenquist, but mainly the fun.

And for straight solid results, check out UtahGOP.

U.S. Senate

Orrin Hatch and Dan Liljenquist are going to a primary vote.  I am thrilled.  Hatch did a really good job stuffing caucus night with supporters, and I am pretty sure most of my state delegates went in planning to vote for Hatch.  I'm glad the voters will ultimately be able to decide this one.

Governor

I like Gary Herbert and Morgan Philpot, having done a little for each on past campaigns, but Herbert was ahead in my book on a couple issues, so I'm okay with him winning the nomination outright.  And when David Kirkham threw his support behind Herbert, he apparently lost a ton of respect from most of his supporters.

CD 3

Jason Chaffetz skates to victory, but it's a little bit telling to me that he only got 74% of the vote.  Yes, that's a decisive win, but it also suggests he's either worn out his welcome with a faction in the party, or they feel he's not living up to his rhetoric.  Something.  I want to ask around more on that.

CD 1

Rob Bishop coasts to an even easier victory.  I hear one of his opponents gave one of those insane "we must fight Satan" type speeches.

CD 2

This is one where I really wish I'd been in the room.  I haven't much attention to this race, but with last-minute accusations and one candidate calling another a bald-faced liar on the stage... They really needed a documentary crew on hand for this one.  Chris Stewart gets the nomination.  I have no informed opinion on this.

CD 4

My feeling for a long time has been that Mia Love was the one candidate that Jim Matheson did not want to run against.  Matheson has been able to easily dispose of his GOP opponents in the past, but if Love wins, she'll be the first black GOP Congresswoman in history.  And from Utah!  That means something.  But the gaffe of the night has to belong to Mark Shurtleff.  Here he is trying to help his buddy Carl Wimmer out and he calls Love a "novelty" candidate.  Alarm bells went off in my head, and apparently they did at convention too.  Shurtleff got booed, and Wimmer actually lost delegates in the next round, and so now Love has the nomination and she can focus on beating Matheson.  By Jove, I think the GOP's finally done it.  I don't know who the Dems picked to run in the 2nd, but the GOP has a very good chance of being 4-for-4 in the US Congress.


Attorney General

John Swallow and Sean Reyes go to a primary.  Good.  Personally, I'm pulling for Reyes. 

And I hear more swimming reports about the job Thomas Wright is doing herding cats.  Should he ever want to run for office, he'd probably get it.  Challenge Mike Lee in 2016, whatever he wants.  Which CD does he live in?

No comments: