Tuesday, June 19, 2012

KSL Radio Debate w/ Sean Reyes & John Swallow



This is all just me typing so no errors, typos, omissions, or misrepresentations were intentional, if any.

I joined the debate late, got there during Reyes' opening statement.

Reyes emphasizes his lawyer and leadership experience, points out Swallow's lobbying experience.

QUESTION - Does it matter who's conservative?

Reyes - It matters. At the same time, most functions are non-partisan, though this is a partisan race. I'd represent the people. It's like a firefighter, you want someone with the most experience.

Swallow - I have to rely on my record. Served in legislature. I'm conservative, will be conservative.

Reyes - Office is for and of the people. Gun rights; I'm packing right now.

QUESTION - Illegal immigration

Swallow - Shurtleff's been active in this. We've done a good job on this with ID theft. I'll leave immigration policy to legislators, and I'll enforce what they say.

Reyes - Fed govt wants to regulate immigration but won't fix broken Visa process, etc., I opposed HB 116. As AG, I will defend that law. I support background checks on those arrested for serious crimes. We need E-Verify.

Swallow - I'll differ with Mark on the way he leads in the press. I'd be more behind the scenes.

QUESTION - Has this race become too nasty? We have anti-Reyes ads from a PAC in Vegas. Anti-Swallow ads coming from UtePAC. Outside money coming in with nasty tones.

Reyes - I denounce SuperPACS and had nothing to do with it. Swallow's team have chosen to engage in a hitpiece SuperPAC they know are false. I'd encourage him to denounce those as well. Even before this, there were a lot of lies about me, that my father was illegal, that's not true. So many things they've accused me of. These things are dirty and disrespectful to the public, and it's what you resort to when you can't beat someone on experience.

Swallow - We have tried to run a positive issue-oriented campaign. Every ad I've approved has been positive. (WHAT?!) We kept hearing whisper campaigns from the other side. This Democrat SuperPAC is very disturbing. It's told lies about me, gave Reyes' campaign life. Why are the Democrats so interested in this GOP primary? Voters should say "We don't want to support a candidate the Democrats wants."

Reyes - people warned me it'd be dirty if I ran against Swallow, and it's been true. Pre-convention they spent thousands on dishonest push-polling. It's hard for John to say he's been above board when we both know that's not true.

QUESTION - ObamaCare

Swallow - one of my thrills was going to Supreme Court, seeing demeanor of justices. They're concerned about Constitutionality. If they rule the mandate down and ObamaCare unconstitutional, they're afraid of being seen as superlegislature by striking whole thing down.

Reyes - It's likely dead. I'd look for different ways to attack it if they don't throw it out. I'll be ready to defend Utah. My only criticism with John on this was him taking too much personal credit for the suit against ObamaCare. Anita Mitchell said he misrepresented his role.

Swallow - Anita Mitchell was that critic, and it was a malicious smear by the Democratic UtePAC against me. We were integral in our role against ObamaCare.

QUESTION - Consumer protection?

Reyes - No good reason to move it to the AG's office. They work in conjunction with AG office but they handle 1000's of complaints. It'd be counterproductive. Only other reason to do it is to concentrate power into one office, it invites abuse. People want more trust and transparency.

Swallow - When I become AG, I won't be marching in place. I will use my experience as legislator and Asst. AG. Shurtleff's wanted to move the office under AG for a long time. Most people logically think that division is already under AG office. We'd add resources.

Reyes - John wants to grow govt, make the office bigger and less efficient. It's all politics. That's not what we need in the state. This came out from the taped phone call from a potential donor. It's the context, that's what people are worried about. Trust, integrity.

QUESTION - What impact would you want to have in your first four years in office?

Swallow - That tape-recorded conversation, I was proud of it. Every single person in this country is a potential donor. Those were propagated lies. But to our public lands, it's about hunting, fishing, and jobs. Taking our lands back would fund education.

Reyes - I will be for getting our lands back, stop encroaching fed govt. My vision is to bring the AG office back to the people. People don't want increased cronyism, backroom deals, etc. (paraphrased that). Many public attorneys and private law firms are supporting me.

Swallow - The encroachment of fed govt is made manifest in ObamaCare and feds taking our lands.

QUESTION - How do we maintain productive relationship with Fed govt?

Reyes - plenty of areas, particularly law enforcement, ATF, DEA, etc. But Fed govt is so overreaching. I agree with HB 148. We need to be able to access some of the trillions of dollars of energy locked up by Fed govt. We won't destroy the state, we want areas for hunting, fishing, preservation, etc.

Swallow - We have supremacy clause in Constituion but Fed govt was supposed to protect our rights. It's a Reagan approach.

Reyes - We need help with Western states too and I'm the one with the credentials to do it.

QUESTION - What is your question for Reyes?

Swallow - I will decline. It's about the state of Utah, it's not about my opponent. It's not about Democratic PACs throwing malicious lies at me. I want the people to understand that.

Reyes - No question for him, but I can offer a soliloquy as well. I am offended that my opponent would impune my integrity. There are a lot of things I could have raised, but I've been under attack by an out-of-state SuperPAC and Swallow's campaign has come after me with lies. Swallow broke camapign laws. It's offensive to accuse me on one hand when he knows he's the one who paid restitution for violating FEC laws.

FINAL STATEMENT

Reyes - Visit my site http://www.seanreyes.com and see who endorses me and why. We are not running for Lobbyist General or Fundraising General. Leading other lawyers to victory matters. Honesty and integrity really really matter. We need a lawyer first, not a politician. I'm the most ready to serve.

Swallow - I want to categorically denounce what he said before his closing. I'm running for this office becuz I believe in this office. I'm a conservative. I don't have support of the liberal media or the Democratic SuperPAC like my opponent. I'm proud of that. As a legislator, I worked to cut taxes and strengthen our rights. I've led against ObamaCare. I'll continue to lead.



There you have it.

I've said before I'm supporting Reyes, and this really helped cement it for me.

I've had many people tell me John Swallow's a good guy, but his campaign has been so dirty that I can't believe what he says.  Reyes denounced the SuperPACs; Swallow did not.  Jason Powers is helping run John's campaign and everything I've seen from him this year suggests he specializes in negative campaigning.  But then, Swallow's statewide campaigns always feel like that.  I remember feeling dirty after the Swallow-Bridgewater race, and I wasn't even paying too close attention to it.  Of all the races, Swallow winning actually makes me the most nervous.  Reyes strikes me as the most honest of the two.

2 comments:

The Sumsion Family said...

It's interesting that the reason you support Reyes is that you think he's the most honest. I have known John Swallow for a long time and base my trust in him on years of interaction. With Reyes, I have to rely on what I've heard him say in this election cycle. I know some are not, but I am concerned about the cash payment to Alan Crooks. "He asked me to pay him in cash, and I complied." Seriously? That doesn't bother people? The second thing that bothers me is Sean's misrepresentation of the whole Martindale-Hubbell ratings. Many, many, good, talented, well-respected lawyers are not rated because of the nature of the ratings are done. Lawyers at big firms get rated and a lot of their rating is based upon the firm they're with. With my own ears I heard Sean say that the lack of a MH rating means that either the lawyer is unethical or that he hasn't really been practicing law so the other lawyers don't know him. That is simply false, and Sean knows it's false.

John said...

I knew neither candidate before this cycle, though I knew of Swallow from previous election cycles. If Swallow is an honest man, his campaign is betraying him.