Monday, June 23, 2008

Dirty politics in Utah's 3rd district

What frustrates me most about this Chaffetz-Cannon election is how Cannon is playing to people's ignorance to get votes. It's one of the main points of his campaign that Chaffetz doesn't live in the district he wants to represent. When I first heard that, my first thought was he lives way far away and that counted against him in my mind.

But if voters knew that Chaffetz lives in Alpine (11,000 feet out of the district), that it was gerrymandered out of the 3rd district in 2002, that it'll be back in the 3rd district when Utah gets a 4th district in 2010, and that the Constitution only requires you live in the state and be age 25, it'd instantly be no big deal. But my guess is that campaign tactics is going to work on hundreds of voters who don't know that Chaffetz lives in Alpine.

No comments: