Thursday, June 26, 2008

Aaron Eckhart as Sean Hannity

I was driving my brother to the airport and we got to talkin' politics. He's an independent, which is what I was until Utah closed their primaries. I asked him about his views on some things and he got around to Sean Hannity. Said he: "When I first started listening to Sean Hannity, I liked him, but then I saw Thank You for Smoking and it made me not like him anymore."

"Why not?"

"The guy in Thank You for Smoking is really good at spinning the facts around and making the other person look stupid and like they don't know what they're talking about, and whatever he's selling he can make it sound good and reasonable."

"Great movie, by the way."

"And the next time I listened to Hannity, I could hear him using all the same tactics the guy from Thank You for Smoking was using. So I don't know what to believe when I hear him."

A little later he asked if there were any liberal radio talk-shows in Utah.

"Well," said I, "my good friend Jeff Bell has a show on Saturdays from 4-5pm. And that's about it." Talk radio here tends to be one of three things: moderate, conservative, or ultra-right-wing nutty.

No comments: