Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Subtle Swiftboating of John McCain

First Wesley Clark, now James Webb, downplaying or dismissing McCain's military service. McCain doesn't play his military service nearly as often as he could, or as often as John Kerry did in 2004, nor does he play up his kids in military service.

I liked McCain and Obama a year ago. They were the two I hoped got the nominations. I thought they could run elevating campaigns. I still like them both, except for some things they do and say, and most of the people around them or supporting them. It's as though reporters and pundits and talking-heads WANT to kill interest in elections with the constant insults, feigning offense to their opponents' gaffes, never-ending spin, etc. Heck, when my dad let someone know he had reservations about Obama, that person turned around and called him a racist. If you don't support Obama, you're a racist. Which I guess means if you don't support McCain, you hate veterans or old people, one of those two.

If HBO's John Adams reminds us of anything, it's that politics has always been dirty. George Washington was called a traitor by some who didn't like his policies. I expect the McCain-Obama race is going to remain unelevated until we get to see them debate. It'll be interesting to see how they play off each other.

No comments: